RECREATIONAL THERAPIST (CTRS)
Help design and implement therapeutic programming that maximizes the potential for independence, enhances the quality of life and promotes community integration for individuals with a disability. Creation of a positive and enjoyable environment promoting social and recreational opportunities in concert with expressed desires of program participants.
• Develop and implement curricula and teaching methods that utilize recreation and leisure activities to enhance psychosocial functioning, enhance physical performance and facilitate community integration. This includes:
• Adjust materials to individual needs of the program participants. Cover leisure education, socialization, networking, community resources, lifestyle choices, health considerations, fitness, independence and other related topics
• Assist program participants in planning, organizing and implementing recreational, social, and leisure activities
• Organize and implement ongoing system to collect consumer feedback on program activities of future events and activities.
• In conjunction with participants, plan and participate in activities, community outings, and special events. Foster independence of all participants in all aspects of planning, participation and program enhancement.
• Help working persons transition into the community
• Teach a variety of physical, leisure and recreation activities in a safe and appropriate manner.
• Evaluate individual progress
• Assess program effectiveness
• Liaison with local Chicago Park District facilities and other community programs. Refer program participants to community programs as appropriate.
• Complete and update assessments on each participant and develop a plan based on their needs, interests and abilities
• Accompany, supervise, and help coach athletes at local Special Olympics events. Assist with eligibility (medicals) and registration process. Complete associated paperwork.
• Supervise therapeutic recreation interns as needed. Complete associated paperwork.
• Participate in Individual Service Plans as requested, providing input regarding progress and concerns of the participant. Complete required sections of staffing report and progress reports. Strive for efficiency, accuracy and usefulness of information.
• Assist persons served with activities of daily living, grooming, and hygiene as needed, throughout the day. Provide break and lunch coverage.
• Complete required paperwork according to department and agency guidelines, funding source regulations and accreditation standards
• Report and document behavioral data as required on a timely basis
• Report and document payroll information on a timely basis as necessary
• Assist participants in developing and following their individual work and activity schedules, encouraging their participation and community involvement.
• Respond to medical and behavior crisis in accordance with agency policy and procedure. This includes related paperwork.
• Drive the agency vans and multi-passenger small bus to transport participants to and from regularly scheduled outings as well as spontaneously planned outings.
B.A. degree in Therapeutic Recreation. Must have or be eligible for Certified Therapeutic Recreational Specialist certification.
Must have the physical capacity to assist in behavior management, to lift people and program materials as program needs dictate.
Valid Illinois driver’s license
Scheduled hours will be flexible not to total more than 40 hours per week. Usual working hours will be Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Occasional evening, week-end hours and overnight hours may be required.
If you would like to support our mission to assist people with disabilities to live, learn, work and play in the community, please apply by submitting your resume on our website at https://anixter.companycareersite.com! No phone calls or e-mails please.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Anixter Center offers competitive pay, a generous benefit package, and a dynamic and supportive work environment.
Anixter Center affirms the values and goals of diversity. We have a strong commitment to diversity and cultural competence and so we proudly are an Equal Opportunity Employer. EOE